But I'm not here to tell you about that. In just over two weeks a far more cost accessible set of training is available: Code Camp.
I've been to a couple of code camps and the first one I attended, I think, was 2008 at Whitireia in Porirua. And I'm going to be brutally honest: it was better than TechEd. I kid you not. For a SQL Server professional this was a seriously good event. The quality of presentations and knowledge was amazing I met some great people and best of all it was free!
"You! Yes you laddie!"On the 28th of August we have Code Camp 2011 in Auckland.
Personally I'm interested in the SQL Server track, but we also have:
- Development Track - you know...all things .Net
- SharePoint Track - Im guessing...but I think this focuses on SharePoint
- Infastructure Track - shared with SQL track to cover AD, SSO, NLB and other awesome TLAs
- Business Track - a new one covering topics that don't sit comfortably numb elsewhere.
Check out the full agenda for all the sessions here: http://www.dot.net.nz/codecamp/Pages/AllSessions.aspx
But lets be honest with ourselves...we're only interested in the SQL Server track so what are we covering here? Since the SQL track and the Infrastructure track are shared, the first two sessions are for Infrastructure topics, then we get into it:
- 11:30 - Full Text Search
- 12:30 - Lunch. Quite possibly the most important session. Seriously it is - this is your chance to quiz everyone!
- 13:00 - Monitoring multiple SQL instances for $0.00. I'm personally looking forward to this one
- 14:00 - Minimal Logging and Data Manoeuvring on Very Large Tables
- 15:00 - Afternoon Tea - Yummy!
- 15:30 - SQL Server: How Secure are you?
- 16:30 - Close and Prizes - Yet more "free stuff" (we do love free at Code Camp)
"If you dont eat your meat, you cant have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat?"Going to TechEd NZ 2011? Then have your pudding too and come to Code Camp!
Not going to TechEd NZ 2011? I'll let you in on a secret: you can still have your pudding. It is free after all!
Come along to put another brick in your (education) wall. With a price like that, just why wouldn't you go?
Want some more info? Your two best sources are the Code Camp website (http://www.codecamp.co.nz/) and the #ccnz hash tag on twitter.